On Saturday we said good-bye to all of our new friends from Rwanda and got on board a plane that would take us from Kigali, Rwanda to Nairobi, Kenya to Amsterdam, Netherlands and then Chicago. We spent about 18 hours in the plane before landing in O’Hare.
As I look back on the trip there are several things that I will take away:
- Getting to go to Africa with my 15 year old daughter Amy. She did great and we had a terrific time. There were so many moments that she mad me proud. I loved seeing her with the Rwandan children.
- Getting to meet Faustin and Antoinette and their new baby – this is the family we support through Global Family Rescue.
- Visiting the Kigali Memorial Centre and seeing up close the tremendous consequences of evil and what circumstances bring about that kind of evil.
- The worship service outside in the small village of Gitumba. The best part was when it just broke out into a party with Ben Pahlow and I dancing with the choir. It was worship and it was fun!
- I gained a new understanding of contentment from the poorest of the poor.
- I discovered some universal organizing and strategic principles for church planting and the possibility of taking our NewThing Network to a new and exciting part of the world.
It was a great trip and we had a great team! Thanks!!