Got to have dinner at a local country club with Rick Warren and about 20 other pastors from across the country. If you are into the evangelical pastor scene – it was pretty much a who’s who. Rick was the host and was the center of the conversation. Here are a few of the highlights from that conversation:
- I believe in rhythm and not balance. John the Baptist was not balanced yet Jesus called him the greatest man that ever lived.
- Nothing great is ever accomplished by people who are always balanced.
- You need to…
- Divert daily.
- Withdraw weekly.
- Abandon annually.
ON SMALL GROUPS…
- You don’t need a lot of people, you just need a few friends.
- The key to a good small group is you need to do things outside of the group together.
ON STAFF DEVELOPMENT…
- Don’t ask people to manage their time, ask them to manage their energy.
- Your staff needs to know that you know that their job is not their only responsibility in life.
- Trust is the most aspect of staff development. You get people to trust you, by trusting them.
ON BUILDING CREDIBILITY AS A LEADER…
- You build credibility by being compassionate.
- You build credibility by being competent.
- You build credibility by being consistent.