1. Multiplying churches have a scorecard that is as focused on starting new churches as it is on adding new members.
2. Multiplying churches give their first fruits to church planting, including at least the first 10 percent of their tithes and offerings.
3. Multiplying church leaders have a specific vision and strategy for multiplication, including accountability measures for monitoring progress.
4. Multiplying churches value raising up and deploying leaders to plant churches. This includes an intern/residency program for developing and deploying church planting leaders and team members.
5. Multiplying churches send church planters on an ongoing and regular basis to plant new churches.
6. Multiplying churches value new churches over mortgage debt. They plant their first church before taking on mortgage debt, and they commit additional financial resources (beyond a tithe) as a percentage of mortgage debt (taking on new mortgage debt is matched by committing a higher percentage of the budget to church planting). Multiplying churches take proactive actions to ensure mortgage debt will not constrain church planting support.
7. Multiplying churches value new churches over new sites. They plant their first church before adding their first site. They commit to plant five or more churches for each new site they add. Multiplying churches understand that multisite is a strategy that can adversely impact multiplication strategies.
8. Multiplying churches value “sending” staff and leaders to plant churches. They send their first planter before accumulating their first three staff members and continue to send a percentage of staff members to plant churches.
9. Multiplying churches inspire, encourage and challenge church members to participate in church planting, both financially and by being part of church planting teams. Multiplying churches continually affirm those who go.
The entire article by Todd Wilson and myself was published in Outreach Magazine as “Are You Planting A Multiplying Church?” The ebook, “Becoming A Level 5 Multiplying Church” that inspired this article is available for free. For a complete treatment on how to start a church that is multiplying on all levels, read “Exponential: How You And Your Friends Can Start A Missional Church Movement.”